A New Way to Browse the Social Web

It\’s a big day here at Flipboard. The new edition (1.5) is out, and you\’ll see we\’ve made some significant changes that will make it even easier to discover, browse, and share content that\’s important to you.

So, what\’s new?

A visual way to search, browse, and favorite social content
There\’s a universe of beautiful, interesting content available via Flipboard. Tap the ever-present red ribbon in the top right and the new Content Guide slides out, where you can search for any person, topic or blog you’re interested in, or simply browse recommended sections arranged by category. Tap Social to connect to Facebook, Twitter, Google Reader, Instagram, Flickr and now LinkedIn (more on that in a bit), and transform your feeds from those networks into a magazine. Find a source you like, and save it to your Favorites for quick access later.

Unlimited Favorites
The No. 1 request we heard from our community was the ability to save more content. So now, whenever you’re flipping through a section that you love, you can save it as a Favorite on your Flipboard by tapping the blue “add” button in the upper left. You can see up to two pages of Favorites as tiles on your Flipboard and you can see the rest in the Content Guide. Just tap the “edit” button to arrange your Favorites however you’d like.

Popular stories
We now highlight popular stories in each section based on how often readers interact with them. You’ll likely see the red “Popular on Flipboard” label sprinkled throughout Flipboard, and we\’ll also feature these collections in categories like Art & Design and Living.

Connect to LinkedIn
Log in to your LinkedIn account via Flipboard to turn the updates being shared by the people in your professional network into a magazine. LinkedIn also aggregates the top shared and timely news across more than 30 professional industries (you can find the full list in the Industry News folder), and will automatically surface the three industry sections most relevant to you based on your LinkedIn profile.

Faster immersion into articles
We\’ve streamlined the way you read articles in Flipboard. With just one tap, you go straight to a full-screen view of, say, a slideshow from National Geographic. From there you can keep on flipping to the next article as if you were reading a print magazine (as opposed to having to tap in and out of each article).  You can still close any article with a pinch-out, double-tap, tap on Close button, or two-finger tap.

Read Later
Another frequent request from our community is support for Read Later services. To set them up, tap on the gear (settings) icon in the lower right corner of your Flipboard and supply your login credentials for Instapaper and/or Read It Later.

Let us know what you think
You can send us feedback and suggestions via Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. If you have any technical issues, please contact us via Flipboard Support or support@flipboard.com. We can’t wait to hear your reaction and to begin collecting suggestions for the next round of development. We hope you love this update as much as we do.

If you don’t see the update right away, it will take a few hours to roll out through the App Store, please be patient.

Best,
The Flipboard Team

28 Responses to A New Way to Browse the Social Web

1. Leigh says:

It would be great to have an iPhone or iPod touch app for this amazing product…I have shared it with everyone I know already and my iPhone user friends are a bit jealous!
    Thanks for the update!

2. Bob Monsour says:

Wow! This all sounds like great additions to an already great app. Can’t wait to download it. Thanks!

3. Kaupo says:

Cool! Next please: new content feed on one page. Its pretty frustrating to open each channel separately to see, if and what there is new content.

4. Eugene Modica says:

Flipboard,is a great way to advertise your business over the internete,and used like the yellow pages in the phonebook.

5. Pingback: Flipboard stakes its claim as the newsstand of the future — Tech News and Analysis

6. Davey says:

Great update Flipboard team!! Loving the ability to browse channels without having to add them first. (Will we eventually get tumblr support?) :-)

7. Pixites says:

What I consider an obvious ‘miss/flaw’ in the tech section is the ‘The Next Web’ blog, at least the preference to subscribe.
    Furthermore I would say; hear, hear, old chap, get on with your job, I very much like what you’re doing!

8. Kristen says:

Love the app too but find if I don’t synchronize with iTunes regularly some pics don’t load. Also as more and more use it or peak times Twitter is often 1+ hours old and sometimes as much as 4…so I stop using it and go direct to twitter..which hope this improves so always realtime

9. Pingback: Flipboard Adds LinkedIn Integration, More Social Options - Social News Daily

10. Pingback: New Edition of Flipboard with New Features

11. Benny A says:

The new interface is even more innovative.
    Thanks for adding Linkedin. Looking forward to get more channels in Technology and Religion.

12. Since I got an iPad (2) Flipboard is my preferred way to keep myself updated with everything surrounding me: international news, social networks friend’s activity, tech news etc.

Congratulations on a perfect product!

13. Marie says:

I miss having my content load on the right hand side in landscape mode. It would be cool if we could switch where our content loads; either from the right or left in landscape mode . It’s making my experience jarring since the update. It is only gripe but makes me wish for the previous version because of how weird it has been for me as a landscape viewer.

• Inside Flipboard says:

This is something we’ll look into improving, there’s already been some internal discussion about this. Thanks for the feedback.

14. Pingback: Flipboard se actualiza

15. John Michl says:

I love the app. I use it to discover new feeds using your suggested content and reading favorite feeds from my Google a reader and Twitter streams. I’d like the ability to share items from any of my sources to any of the other sources. For instance, I post to a Confluence blog at my company out of the web version of Google Reader. With Flipboad, I need to star the item and the open the Google Reader site. Same for sharing this content to Facebook.

I prefer to consolidate via Google Reader so that read pages are marked as read.

Love the app. It it the most used on my iPad.

16. knelistonie says:

Congratulations with the top notch browser.
    I – and perhaps others too – feel a need for (saved) search term (+ saving contents) in all active subscriptions.

Cheers,

17. Dale says:

Any way to give us the capability to add a portfolio from Google Finance?

18. Claude Choi says:

Great job! God bless all your TEAM!

19. Pingback: Why Your School Needs to Buy iPads for the Classroom – 16 iPad apps to help improve reading literacy | blog.classroomteacher.ca

20. Pingback: Why Your School Needs to Buy iPads for the Classroom – 16 iPad apps to help improve reading literacy | Warez Trainig

21. Daniel says:

Wow this is amazing! Thanks!!

22. Adam B says:

Great updates, and far & away my favourite app on the iPad…

Read it later/Instapaper integration is great, though I was hoping for a 2 way implementation of this, where linking with my Instapaper account meant I could actually access my ‘read it later’ content from within an instapaper ‘channel’ within flipbook, as well as ‘bookmarking’ sites found within flipbook…

Maybe a future dev?

23. Pingback: Design Is for Function. Looks? A Bonus. « Austin Details :: Pairings

24. Kati says:

A very useful app, thanks! I would appreciate the ability to edit the sources within the main categories such as “News” or “Tech”. If not removing anything, being able to add local news sites etc. would be nice. Thanks!

• Inside Flipboard says:

Hi Kati,

Thanks for your thoughts. You can Hide contributors from the categories, just open an article, tap the name / avatar in the lower left and select “Hide…” You can manage your hidden contributors in Settings, just tap the gear icon in the lower right corner of your Favorites page.

However, you can’t add to them, not directly. What you can do, is to create your own section for News or Tech using Twitter lists or Google Reader folders. Here’s how to: Make a Custom Twitter List to Read on Flipboard. http://flpbd.it/Q3yB

Thanks again,